Saturday, November 3, 2007

The hidden world of the Library

The library is a place that I think many people take for granted. What other place can a person visit that has thousands and thousands of books, videos, and CD's? Well Barns and Noble I suppose but then it is going to cost you that very hard to get dollar. However, when you set foot into the library you can discover all of the above at a fraction of the cost.

I will say I am blessed with a wonderful library system. We belong to the Mid-Continent Public Library and I have to say it is wonderful. They offer on-line data base, so I can search for books we need for school and for leisure reading while at home. Once I have made my selection I can put a hold on the book and then go to my local branch and pick them up, they are waiting for me at the front desk.

I have found that if you do your research you can save your home quite a bit of money when it comes to home schooling. We currently use a history curriculum (Story of the World) and it has suggested historical reading and literature reading to accompany the text book. I have been able to find 99% of the book through the library. Through my time of searching I have not been forces to purchase any supplemental reading material for our home school.

Our library offers many wonderful programs. Every Tuesday we head to the library for Toddler Time, which is a story time program for children ages 18 months to 3 years old. So Anna and Christopher are able to go to story time, Catherine attends to and is a big helper to the little children.

For history our library has hosted events like a Veteran's Day event, where we were able to watch a Apache helicopter take off from side yard of the library. Different people where there with historical military items as well as stories to share. We even where able to create Christmas Cards for solders over seas.

So check out your library. You never know what wonderful treasures are hidden within the walls of a building few people seem to remember exist.

No comments: