Wednesday, October 8, 2008

History

I remember learning History/Social Studies in school. I remember learning maps of the world and about different parts of the world. I remember reading text books about government and laws. With this memory also come a dislike for the way it was taught to me. History in school for me was boring. It was one of those "I have to do this" type classes.

Thank gosh for home schooling and freedom we have. Here at the Pierce Family School we use the series "Story of the World"

As their web site reads:
The Story of the World is an award-winning resource for families looking for a history curriculum they can fall in love with. Told in the straightforward, engaging style that has become Susan Wise Bauer's trademark, this four-volume set covers the sweep of human history from ancient times until the present. Africa, China, Europe, the Americas — find out what happened all around the world in long-ago times. This read-aloud series is designed for parents and teachers to share with elementary school children. Enjoy it together and introduce your child to the marvelous story of the the world's civilizations.

This is our second year of using this series and each time we do our history lesson I always have the same comment "If history was taught to me in the way it is to my children I would have loved it."

The chapters go in chronological order of events. Each chapter is told in a way that you can feel like you are really living in the time period. With each chapter there is a map activity to help with map skills as well as understand the world during the time period. Each lesson included craft activities as well as other projects and reading to enhance the learning.

Take a new look at history and you may soon discover that "This isn't the same old History."

No comments: